Affiliate links are used for your convenience. I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through my links.
Every since I started playing with my Cricut machine I’ve been dreaming of making a custom DIY Christmas Sign for my home! I picked up some pre-made wood signs from Hobby Lobby, and got to work with creating a custom SVG file to make these beautiful DIY hand painted Christmas signs!
I knew that I wanted to share my custom SVG cut file so that my fellow craft-lovers could make their own signs for their homes! Making Cricut wood signs is so much fun, especially for the holiday season.
And for those who might not own a cutting machine, I created a free printable so you can print them out and place them in a frame instead!
How to make an easy DIY Christmas Sign with a Cricut machine:
- First you will download your free SVG cut file, save it, and place it into your Cricut design space.
- Then you will use any color of vinyl and set your cutting machine to the vinyl setting, and make your cuts (you will need 4 squares of vinyl for this project).
- Then you will “weed” out the letters off of the backing, leaving the inside spaces. (for example, the “o” and “e” letters need their inside spaces left on the backing). This will create your “stencil” made out of vinyl.
- Next you need to apply your transfer tape (I use clear contact paper from Dollar Tree!). Make sure it is covering all of your vinyl and use a scraper to make sure it sticks down onto the vinyl.
- Then you will peel off the white backing behind the vinyl and stick the vinyl onto your sign.
- Next remove the transfer tape, leaving only the vinyl on the sign to create your painting “stencil”.
- Lastly you will use paint to paint inside all of the spaces of your vinyl. After your painting is done, quickly remove the vinyl stencil to reveal your painted letters! I remove the vinyl stencil quickly to prevent the paint from drying and sticking to the vinyl.
I love this easy way of creating a custom Cricut sign, by creating your own vinyl stencil. Using this method you can get precise letters that look crisp and clean.
I recommend using small artists brushes for painting over the stencil, and not getting too much paint on your brush at a time. This will prevent paint bleeding underneath the stencil.
You can use this hand painted sign method to create your own home decor, or to make homemade gifts for family and friends. It is such a great gift idea for teachers, neighbors, and just about anyone! This is one of the Christmas sign ideas that I’ve been thinking about for weeks, and I’m so happy with how it turned out.
If you want to print and frame this artwork, simply download the free printable here. You can display it in a frame, on a clipboard, or any other way you want!
Have you made any diy Christmas signs this year? It is so fun making stencils with Cricut. I’d love to hear about what you’ve been creating lately!