This simple magazine rack makeover is a quick and easy DIY project! I’ve given this magazine holder a new life with Fusion Mineral Paint, and now it provides some functional storage in my home office!
Hello, friends! I’ve been working on some home decor projects lately, and I’m excited to share with you my latest DIY project – a vintage magazine rack makeover!
Affiliate links are used for your convenience. I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through my links.
I’m sure you’ve spotted several vintage magazine racks at your local Goodwill or Thrift Store. There have been so many that I’ve walked past knowing that I wouldn’t have a use for it anymore. I’ve recently recycled all of my old magazines that I used to keep for reference, so I don’t have a need for one!
However, I have been using my Cricut machine over the last couple months for DIY home decor projects, and have been needing a place to store my large vinyl, paper, and cutting mats.
A magazine rack seemed like a good solution after I spotted one in my local thrift store. It was sturdy, had good lines, and had potential to look totally different with a coat of paint. I decided to take a chance on this old vintage piece to give it a new life!
- Magazine Rack
- Lint-free cloth
- Wood Filler & Sandpaper (optional)
- Fusion Mineral Paint in Lamp White
How to give a magazine rack a makeover
- Give the magazine rack a good cleaning with a lint-free cloth. My magazine rack was very dusty so I did quite a bit of dusting to get it clean.
- Fill any scratches or holes with wood filler, and after it has dried sand it down smooth with sandpaper or a sanding block.
- Dust it down again after sanding to make sure the surface is clean and ready to paint.
- Paint 2-3 coats of Fusion Mineral Paint in the color Lamp White. I only needed 2 coats as this paint has amazing coverage!
What do you think of my finished magazine rack makeover? I love how it fits in with my modern farmhouse decor, and is such a functional storage piece for my Cricut supplies! I’m so glad I decided to take a chance and finally give one of these magazine racks a needed makeover. I think it will be happy in my office with all of my craft supplies 🙂
You’ll also want to check out my friend Jessica’s recent thrift store transformation! I love how she created a thrifted thanksgiving tablescape!
Thank you for reading, friends! Blessings – Leslea