Hello, friends! Today I’m sharing with you how to add patriotic outdoor decor to your front porch. Since moving into our fixer upper 6 months ago I haven’t done much to our front porch, so I was excited to spruce it up a little for the summer months!
Affiliate links are used for your convenience. I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through my links.
I’m joining up with some fellow bloggers for a Pinterest Challenge hosted by County Road 407! We all are taking our inspiration (photo below) from Mary at Home Is Where The Boat Is. If you are coming over from First Day of Home, welcome!
I usually like to keep my home decor fairly simple and understated. For my front porch my goals were to add some patriotic outdoor decor that was a little muted in color. I was so excited to find some great finds from Amazon that fit with my modern farmhouse decor and stayed within my budget.
Let’s get started with how I created my welcoming front porch with some patriotic outdoor decor.
How To Add Patriotic Outdoor Decor To Your Front Porch
- Start with seating: I have had a black metal outdoor bench for almost 10 years, and it’s still going strong! I purchased it from Costco and it’s been on our front porch at our last 5 homes. It’s super sturdy and has such a classic design that it hasn’t gone out of style!
- Add pillows for comfort and coziness: Adding throw pillows gives the seating area more comfort and makes it look more inviting. This is also a good way to add in color and texture. I found these red and white ticking striped pillows that will pull double-duty. They can be used for both the 4th of July and at Christmas time! I also added a patriotic pillow that I created using a pillow cover and a stencil!
- Drape a lightweight throw blanket on one side: Adding a lightweight blanket is the perfect way to add is some more color (blue for the holiday) and texture, coziness, and a way to keep warm on chilly mornings or evenings. I found this Turkish towel that can also be used as a blanket! It is super soft and I love how versatile it is – not to mention that it is budget friendly too!
- Add a side table for decor & functionality: I created a budget friendly side table with a craft crate, used this natural DIY wood stain, and then sealed it with some spray sealant. It is the perfect size for a side table and brings some rustic farmhouse vibes to the space.
- Use some greenery or flowers to add life: You can easily use something you have on hand for a vase to place some fresh or faux flowers in. Plants are a great way to add life to a space that feels flat. I used this DIY vintage crock to add in some faux hydrangeas from Dollar Tree, and then added an American Flag from Dollar Tree. This is perfect to last throughout the summer and celebrate the 4th of July!
I made the pillow in the center by using a plain pillow cover and stenciling my letters on with a fabric pen! You can see how I did it here! This method is perfect for making custom DIY pillow covers.
What do you think of my simple patriotic outdoor decor on my front porch? Do you usually decorate your porch for summer? I’m loving how simple and cozy my space looks now!
Head over to take a look at all of the other inspiration that we have in our Pinterest Challenge blog hop! There are so many great ideas for decorating your porch!