Fall is officially here, and I couldn’t be more excited! After a very long hot summer I am so ready to break out the cozy blankets and soft sweaters. I’ve already done some Fall decorating inside our home, but I haven’t attempted to decorate our porch for Fall before (besides sticking a few pumpkins out by the front door).
When I stopped to think about why I hadn’t decorated our porch for Fall before, I realized that it was mostly because I didn’t think that it would be budget-friendly or cost effective. I’m a very frugal shopper, and usually try to buy most of my seasonal decor on clearance after the holiday is over. I hadn’t found any great discounted Fall decor for the last couple years, so my porch didn’t get any Fall love.
This year I was perusing Pinterest and looking at Fall decor ideas. I found so many inspiring Fall porches with beautiful decor that made the houses look welcoming and inviting. I decided that I wanted to take on the challenge of decorating my porch for Fall by using some simple decorating tips all while keeping it budget-friendly. Now my porch looks so friendly and ready for the season!
5 Fall Porch Decorating Tips
- Find items in your home that you can incorporate into your porch decor. I tried to find items that I already had in our home (or sitting in our garage) that could work for outdoor decor. The wood baskets have been sitting in our garage for a while, and I knew they would look cute with some flowers placed in them! I also already had the wood crate on the porch as a side table. (I bought the crate at Michael’s with a coupon (for under $10!) and used this homemade DIY stain to give it a rich color.) The galvanized lantern is also an item that I had in one of our built-in bookshelves, and it has found a new home outside on the porch.
- Make some simple decor items yourself to save some money! I created this simple DIY Autumn sign by simply grabbing some scrap wood from our garage (from a previous project), drawing some letters on by using the method I used here, painting the letters and graphic, and sitting it outside! It cost me $0 because I already had all of the supplies on hand. The burlap wreath was a DIY project that I made last year for under $15 (by shopping sales at Hobby Lobby + using mobile coupons!). Another DIY project is the plaid blanket sitting on the bench. I found a tutorial for a no-sew blanket from Maison De Pax and had a cozy blanket in no time! The fabric only cost me $10 at Joann’s (by combining a sale + a coupon!), so not too shabby for a DIY blanket!
- Shop around for the best deals. Because I’m such a frugal gal, I am always trying to find the best deals around. This means that I always check the clearance sections at my favorite stores, search my emails for coupon codes, and spend some time looking for deals online. The white concrete lantern was a $7 clearance find from World Market, and the pumpkin pillow was only $5 from Amazon. It can certainly pay off to shop around a little!
- Add some pumpkins! This year I was on the hunt for some white and orange heirloom pumpkins. I love the unique shape and colors – they bring some serious visual interest! I was able to find some for $5-$6 at a local pumpkin patch and at Trader Joe’s. Nothing says “Fall” like some real pumpkins!
- Use flowers to add texture and color. I found these mums at our local Lowe’s for around $7 each, and I love how they bring some life to my porch. Flowers can really add some welcoming character! I have to admit that I have a pretty black thumb when it comes to gardening and keeping plants alive. But for some reason I just keep trying! I’ll try my best to keep these cute mums alive as long as I can!
By using these tips you can create a welcoming Fall porch of your own! I’d love to hear what you have used to decorate your porch with during the Fall season. Do you have any tips of your own?