We recently moved our 2 year old daughter into her own room and she is pretty excited about it! She loves having her own space and having a place to hoard her hundreds of stuffed animals (do stuffed animals have a magical power to multiply overnight?! I don’t know how our children have acquired so many!). Her room definitely needs some modern farmhouse style, feminine touches, and furniture as well. One of the biggest changes will be giving up her toddler bed for a big-girl twin sized bed. Wait, she’s not a toddler anymore? Gah! I did not expect this to be an emotional room makeover!
I decided to jump into my first One Room Challenge – a 6 week room makeover challenge hosted by Calling It Home. Lots of bloggers participate in this challenge that happens twice a year. It is a great way to create some motivation to finish a room design in a short 6 week span!
We were originally using this room as an office for my husband Nic, but as I explained in this post about how I made this sweet wall hanging – our daughter needed her own space and her own room. So we emptied the room of the bookshelves, books, baseball memorabilia (including numerous bobble-heads), and enormous roll-top desk. This left us with a big blank slate – just an empty room with cream colored walls, her white toddler bed, a nightstand and some toys. Time to start decorating!
For the colors in her room I wanted to stick with some basic neutral colors, and throw in a few accents of pink for a feminine touch. I really love the mix of grey, cream/white, and gold. A beautiful classic farmhouse color pallet that has a bit of charm. I started piecing together my inspiration board that would make the room come together with the colors and feel that I love. After creating my inspiration board I was pretty smitten with my plan for the room. Especially when it currently looks like this:
Here is my design plan for her room:
- Paint an antique dresser for clothing storage. We were able to score a dresser from a neighbor (for free!) so we will be fixing it up and painting it.
- Re-do the headboard on her twin bed. The bed that we have isn’t exactly the farmhouse style that I love, so I’ll be tweaking it to make it fit the style of the room.
- Add paint or an accent wall treatment. I do like the brightness of the existing cream colored paint, but I want to add some interest on the walls somehow.
- Find bedding & accent pillows for the twin bed. I will be looking for a feminine quilt, with some pops of color coming from accent pillows.
- Hang up some art and mirrors on the walls. I already have some wall art in mind that I found at Hobby Lobby!
- Upgrade the light fixture. I wouldn’t say that I’m in love with the existing builder-grade light!
Here is my design inspiration for her room:
Artwork | Light Fixture | Dresser | Curtains | Mirror | Throw Pillow | Chair | Rug
I am so excited to get started on putting this room together! There is something so exhilarating about decorating a room from scratch, and trying to do it as frugally as possible. Many of the projects on my list are DIY projects that will help save a ton of money for this room. I’m up for the challenge!
Follow along as I will be posting my progress throughout the next 6 weeks. The big reveal will be posted at the end of the 6 week challenge where you will get to see the finished room. Super exciting!
Here are the links for the following weeks and the full reveal!
Week Two | Week Three | Week Four | Week Five | Week Six Reveal!