As the new year is approaching I am starting to think of all of my goals for the new year. The most important goal on my list is to spend more intentional quality time with family and capturing those memories. I also want to find joy in everyday moments and find things to be thankful for, even on difficult days.
While I was brainstorming ways to do this I remembered an idea that a friend shared with me. Her family writes down memories and events that happen throughout the year and saves them in a special place then reads them all as a family on New Years Eve. What a fun way to celebrate your year as a family on New Year’s Eve! I decided to create a Memory Jar to keep our memories throughout the year – with free printable for you!
I’m going to show you how I created this New Year’s Eve Year of Joyful Memories Jar. We will write our memories and special moments on the printable cards and will store them in this Jar throughout the year. Displaying our Jar on the kitchen counter within sight will be a daily reminder to jot down something we would love to remember.
Here are some memories you could include:
- Birthday celebrations
- School Achievements
- Funny quotes from the children
- Family outings
- Holiday traditions
This post does include some affiliate links, but they are for your convenience. Please click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- Mason Jar
- Craft Paper (for the top of your lid)
- These Printable Cards and Labels
- Glue Stick
- Double-stick Tape
2. Adhere your label onto your jar using your tape.
3. Fold the white flaps down on the envelope and use your glue stick to add glue to the flaps. Then fold your envelope in the center and press onto the glued flaps to create your envelope. This nifty little envelope will keep your extra cards together.
4. Take your Mason Jar lid and trace a circle onto your craft paper. You will cut this out to be the top of your jar. I cut slightly inside of the traced line to make sure it will fit inside the rim.Â Assemble your new paper “lid” underneath the rim and screw it on. I used some paper that I had previously painted.
You can keep your envelope and cards with a pen nearby so that you can quickly jot down the memory, fold it up and slip it right into the Jar. Keeping the process simple and quick will help me be able to keep up with it throughout the year. Because let’s face it – some projects just keep collecting dust if they are too complicated or time-consuming. This will be something I can actually keep up with! That leads me to the next goal on my list … simplify!
Do you have any goals for the New Year? What kind of ways do you capture your family’s memories?